Last reviewed by Dr. Raj MD on January 12th, 2022.
What causes a blood blister on finger?
Most of the time when a person has a blood blister on finger it is the result of some type of trauma in which the skin on your finger has been pinched in something like the hinge of a door or a pair of pliers or scissors. Some of the other causes can include:
- From frostbite when your blood vessels beneath your skin burst from the expansion of liquid in your finger
- Accidental burning of your finger
- Skin infections like impetigo or eczema
- Chemical exposure
- Some medications
- Friction with a rough surface like shoveling or raking without wearing gloves
- Bruising your finger
- Scalding your finger
- Allergens to your skin
- Viral skin infection
- Fungal skin infection
- Engaging in activities like bike riding, swinging a golf club, swinging a bat, or weightlifting
How to treat a blood blister on finger?
Most of the time having blood blister on finger does not need any special medical attention. One important thing that you do not do is bust the blood blister on finger. Instead you should protect it not only from bursting but also from further wear. If you bust a blood blister on finger it could become infected. You can use a cold pack to help your body stop reacting strongly with an immune response and to help dull the pain. If you do use an ice pack make sure that you only apply it for five minutes on, then five minutes off until thirty minutes have gone by.
If there is swelling you can soak your finger in a mixture of warm water with some Epsom salt mixed in to help it decrease. You should also bandage the blood blister on finger and elevate it to help drain the blood from the blister. You also need to make sure that you are keeping it cleaned and change the bandage every day or more often if the bandage becomes dirty.
If it does burst you need to make sure that you clean it thoroughly and disinfect the area. Then you need to put a bandage on it to keep it from becoming infected. You also want to make sure that you are keeping the area dry. You should also make sure that you are wearing gloves if you are going to be digging or gardening. If you are experiencing weakness and numbness on the surface of your skin you should see your physician. To help your blood blister on finger to dry you can apply zinc cream. The zinc cream will also help to speed up the healing.
If the blood blister on finger is very large it may need to be drained but you should see your physician to see if it does. Your physician can drain it if it does need to be drain and give you the right medication and instructions to keep an infection from setting in. If you do get an infection from it bursting your physician may prescribe an oral antibiotic to treat the infection.
- Place a thick slice of cold cucumber on the blood blister for a few minutes at a time until the blood blister is gone. There is a trace mineral in the cucumber that helps to strengthen the connective tissue in your skin.
- Apply fresh aloe Vera gel to the area for a few days or you can use aloe Vera juice. It contains an anti-inflammatory property along with being able to help alleviate pain and also has a cooling effect on the area.
- Make a paste of rose water and one teaspoon turmeric powder and apply it to the blood blister on finger a few times a day.
- Turmeric powder will help to prevent infection as it is antiseptic in nature.
- Dilute tea tree oil in water and put it on the blood blister. Leave on for ten minutes and rinse off with cold water. Do this several times a day until the blood blister on finger heals. Tea tree oil has antifungal, antiseptic, and anti-inflammatory properties to help dry the blood blister naturally. You can use creams, lotions, soaps, or ointments with tea tree oil as an ingredient if you want.
How long to heal?
How long it will take a blood blister on finger to heal will depend on the size of the blood blister and whether it has burst, either on its own accidentally or you have popped it. Normally within a week or as long as a month the blood will disperse causing the blister to flatten out and start to dry up where the skin was stretched over the blood blister.
Pictures of Blood Blister on finger
Collection of pictures of blood blister on finger…