Do you feel a lump behind ear on bone or a lymph node behind ear, or a pimple behind ear? It most likely is a dead skin cell or can be a sebaceous cyst behind the ear.
What causes cyst behind ears? A collection of dead skin cells is most of the time the culprit of cyst and abscess behind ear. You might not notice it until one day you observed a pea sized lump behind ear.
Such type of cyst is not dangerous, but there are instances when you need to seek medical attention. Although sebaceous cyst behind the ear is not dangerous, there are instances when it can affect other organs of the body. (1, 2)
Image 1: A cyst, which is more like a pimple-like structure behind the ear.
Picture Source: www.healthyhowto.org
Photo 2: A severely infected cyst behind the ear.
Image Source: www.healthyhowto.org
How to identify the cyst or lump behind ear lobe?
- You will notice a lump behind the ear that slowly grows.
- There is a painless lump but when become infected can cause mild to severe pain.
- There is a whitish fluid oozing from the cyst. (3)
What causes cysts behind ears?
- Acne – If you have a pimple or lump behind the ear, there is a possibility of blockage of hair follicles. Pimple behind the ear rarely happens though, but it is always possible. (2)
- A swollen lymph node (lymphadenopathy) – Most of the time, a person will experience a swollen lymph node, especially if a patient has a fever. It is actually the body’s response to infection. A swollen lymph node should not be a cause for alarm as it usually disappears on its own, especially if the body has adjusted to the infection or recovered from the infection. (4)
- Infection – A lump or cyst behind the ear is also possible if you are suffering from infection, especially throat infection. (5)
- Lymphoma – It is a fatty lump that forms in between the layers of the skin. It affects any parts of the body including the ears. Most lymphoma cases are harmless but there is a possibility that it could grow to a full bloom cancer.
- Lipoma – A lipoma behind the ear is nothing but a fatty bump in between the layers of the skin. A lipoma can take place in any parts of the body and varies in size and number.
- Abscess – It is a capsulated skin filled with fluid, usually pus. An abscess is formed if there is an ongoing infection or foreign bodies.
- Tumor – It is a tissue growth that can take place in any parts of the body including the skin behind the ears. It takes place when the cells multiply outrageously. (6, 7)
What to keep in mind if you have a cyst behind the ear?
- If you have a cyst on the ear lobe, you have to make sure you remove any ear accessories. They could harbour harmful microorganisms that could get in contact with your cyst and make them infected.
- If your hair is long, make sure you keep it clean at all times to prevent excess oil from contacting your ears.
- Do not attempt to pop the cyst as it could aggravate the condition.
Avoid using any products that could get in contact with the ears. (8, 9, 10)
Cyst behind ear treatment
How to treat cyst behind ear? What you should do to make cyst completely go away? There are various treatment modalities for cyst behind the ears. The treatment of choice depends on the factors that are cause cyst behind the ears. The common treatment of choice includes the following:
If the cyst behind the ear is bacterial in nature, the doctor would prescribe antibiotics, which will be given to the patient via oral route or intravenously. Make sure you take the drug religiously for the infection to completely go away. Failure to take the antibiotics as prescribed by the doctor could lead to recurrent of the cyst. (5, 9)
If the cause of lump behind the ear is acne, then the best treatment approach is acne medication. Acne drugs have antibacterial properties, which speeds up the healing process of the acne. (2)
A topical corticosteroid cream helps alleviate the symptoms that come with a cyst behind the ear such as inflammation and itching. If the symptoms do not improve, then you need to consult your doctor for other treatment options. (3, 4)
In most cases, many people opt to undergo a sebaceous cyst behind ear removal. The doctor will thoroughly assess the condition of the cyst and will determine the best surgical intervention. Usually, the doctor will perform a surgical incision to thoroughly yet carefully remove the cyst. After the surgery, additional treatments should be given to the patient such as chemotherapy and chemical treatment. (7)
Home remedies for cyst behind the ears
A cyst behind the ears can be healed using natural home remedies provided it is treated at an early stage. Never attempt to pop or squeeze the cyst as it increases the possibility of having an infected cyst. To safely and effectively manage the cyst behind the ears at the comfort of your home, you should try the following:
- Tea tree oil – It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory property. Applying a tea tree oil on the cyst behind the ear can significantly improve the condition of the cyst. It can also improve other symptoms such as swelling and reddening of the skin.
- Aloe Vera – It is tested and proven effective in removing cyst in any parts of the body. It helps alleviate pain and discomfort. It hastens the healing process.
- Castor oil – It helps get rid of inflammation and alleviates pain and itching. Apply castor oil on the cyst at least two times a day. Eventually, you will be able to see improvements. (6, 8, 9)
A cyst behind the ear is something that should not be taken lightly. The ear is one of the most sensitive organs in the body. Anything that grows in it can be a cause for alarm. If you notice a cyst behind the ear, you should take aggressive measures to make it go away.
If you have tried home remedies but nothing seem to work, the best thing to do is to consult your primary care physician for proper diagnosis and treatment.